A messy room can distract you from your studies. Out of sight, out of mind is the best rule. If you’ve let the papers and pizza boxes pile up, or if you can write your name in the dust on top of your table, it’s time to clean up. Here is a list of things to do to get your space in tip top shape.
1. Clear the clutter. If there’s a little, take time and put things away. If there’s a lot, sweep everything off surfaces and the floor and sort into three laundry baskets. One basket is for things that need to be put away. One is for things that need to go somewhere else. The third is for trash.
2. If you have a lot of mail or papers, take some time to sort those into categories.
3. Neaten things up. Make your bed, straighten sofa pillows, close drawers and doors. It’s amazing how these little things can make a room look tidier.
4. Pick up clothes and other items that need to go back into a closet or into the laundry.
5. Dust surfaces. Remember television and computer screens.
6. Wipe down areas that need to be cleaned. You can use clear water and a microfiber towel on easy areas. Or try disinfecting spray on nasty spots.
7. Check details for dirt, fingerprints and smudges – light switches, door moulding, refrigerator surfaces.
8. Use your vacuum hose and go around where the wall meets the ceiling to get rid of cobwebs and dust.
9. Use the hose where the walls meet the floor, especially in corners.
10. Vacuum steps and entryways.
11. Vacuum the rest of the floors.
12. Mop surfaces in the kitchen and bathroom, or wherever you don’t have carpet.
13. Take out the trash.
14. Starting with the basket of things that need to be put away, start putting things where they belong.